I can't see where that bus is going.

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

I can't see where that bus is going.

Postby K270UB6 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Moving to Tauranga I've noticed that all the buses have large orange LED mobitec destionation signs installed and a system of displaying routes clearly. Previously living in Auckland I used the 015 and other services where sometimes the destionations rotate and often take a while to set back to the origional route where the number is displayed. I don't like this becuase I have to wait to see what route the bus is doing. The problem would be easily fixed by either having a single slide showing the route number and main destionation, or installing larger destionation equipment on buses that needed them (which they wouldn't becuase it would be too costly)
Here are a few examples:

A typical route display for Tauranga's BayHopper urban services. (This is only an example, these are always orange not green).

Common sliding destionation in Auckland.

Non sliding destionation.
Jump on a bus, its better by bus!
K270UB6
Trainee Transport Geek

Re: I can't see where that bus is going.

Postby Andrew » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm

How did you generate those images?

From observation, rotating displays on NZ Bus and Ritchies buses (I think also UE and H&E, not sure) always show the route number. For rotating displays the 015 rotates between "015 QUEEN ST K'RD" and "015 PONSONBY". On buses with larger LED displays they display everything static when it all fits.

The displays on Birkenhead Transport are an example of a bad setup - they only show the route number half the time, and rotate too something like "973 BEACHHAVEN" / "via RANGITIRA RD" in huge letters even on the large orange LED displays.
One of their dumber ones is (I forget the route number) "95? BAYVIEW VIA WINDY RIDGE" / "VIA WINDY RIDGE" or something similar, I forget the exact details.
“People, not vehicles, are the economic lifeblood of a successful, vibrant city.” - Jahn Gehl to Auckland City Council, September 2010
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Andrew

Postby john-ston » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:44 pm

I would personally prefer the sliding option kept, with the route number kept steady - that would be of more use to passengers than just showing the final destination.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby The King » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:12 pm

john-ston wrote:I would personally prefer the sliding option kept, with the route number kept steady - that would be of more use to passengers than just showing the final destination.

I agree with this idea.

Unfortunately NZ Bus' new 2200 series buses are pretty bad too:
- 110 EMERALD HILL
- via UPPER HUTT
- and LOWER HUTT
They only recently added "and LOWER HUTT" with these new buses. These buses are dedicated to this route but what if you aren't familiar with them?

Alternatively, there is the use of the side destination sign. Take Wellington's route 83 for example:
Front sign:
- 83 Eastbourne
Side sign:
- 83 Eastbourne
- 83 via Lower Hutt
The King
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby K270UB6 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks Andrew I couldn't remember whether or not the route remained static. If that were the case then I'd agree.

I use Mobitec Zedit 32 which is free to download here: http://www.mobitec.com.br/novo/Zedit32-R2.zip
It's not the best of programs, but compared to Hanovers Helen its far simpler to use.

I've had hours of fun using this program making up all sorts of destionations for buses, just please remember to save your work on a regular basis.
K270UB6
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby CCreegan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Stagecoach was justifiably proud of the enormous LED signs when first introduced (can't remember if it was first on the 1400 or 2400 series).

Since then a lot of older buses are being refitted, they have obviously tried hard even with the split-windscreen ex-Links but it would take major bodywork to get the full size signs into some of the smaller ones.

Only about 5 years ago, the BEST signs in town were the hopeless one line red/yellow/green ones that are still in a few 1700s that haven't been repainted yet. The smallest of the new signs are so much better.
CCreegan
Railfan

Postby K270UB6 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 pm

CCreegan wrote:Stagecoach was justifiably proud of the enormous LED signs when first introduced (can't remember if it was first on the 1400 or 2400 series).

Since then a lot of older buses are being refitted, they have obviously tried hard even with the split-windscreen ex-Links but it would take major bodywork to get the full size signs into some of the smaller ones.

Only about 5 years ago, the BEST signs in town were the hopeless one line red/yellow/green ones that are still in a few 1700s that haven't been repainted yet. The smallest of the new signs are so much better.

They were the 2400's and the Red/Yellow/Green destos were Active destionation equipement.
The older buses being refitted my NZ Bus in Auckland at the moment are the 1100's and they were origonally old roller blinds (which I quite miss)

Many of Ritchies buses have split screens which is rather annoying to see, getting in the way of a letter or two.
K270UB6
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby axio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 pm

I also appreciate the North Star buses with the route numbers in the back - it's nice to know if you just missed the bus you were wanting.
The Birkenhead Transport Appreciation Society - relax and enjoy
axio
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby K270UB6 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:39 pm

axio wrote:I also appreciate the North Star buses with the route numbers in the back - it's nice to know if you just missed the bus you were wanting.

Those are on most new buses around the city. Except for Birkenhead and Ritchies.
K270UB6
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby jarbury » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Half of the rear route signs don't seem to work though.
Stay on topic, don't troll, if pain persists please see the site admin.

All posts are my personal opinions.
jarbury
Uber Transit Geek

Postby kaiwhara » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:24 pm

I wonder why that is, Ive more than once seen a 13/1400 in Wellington go past with say 14 Wilton via Roseneath on the front and side, and 23 on the rear. Not overly helpful if you were looking for the 23 Mairangi bus which finishes in a similar area but goes a completely different route...

jarbury wrote:Half of the rear route signs don't seem to work though.
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby TechnicianX » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:00 pm

The rear route number displays often seem to be unreliable, either due to bad programming or a lack of maintenance.

Quite a few of the buses in Auckland are actually fitted with those large LED display signs the original poster refers to. Mostly these are new buses though, and older ones are retrofitted with smaller signs. Main reasons behind this I'm guessing are space constraints, and the fact that the older (smaller) buses are less likely to be used on high-patronage routes where such displays would be necessary.
I've been to ADK hell and back...
TechnicianX
Bus Foamer

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion