Auckland Rail Electrification Project

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: Auckland Rail Electrification Project

Postby Akarana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 am

I plan to get around the network and take some photos of the progress midway through the shutdown, so expect some images in the near future :)
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Akarana
Railfan

Postby doloras » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

scooter wrote:As much as I admire Mike Lee's work sometimes I wonder if he thinks before he speaks.

Mike Lee makes PT policy on political rather than engineering bases. I'm not stating that as a criticism, but he does work from the "should" to the "is" rather than the other way around - eg his enthusiasm for the Helensville trial.
Rename the City Rail Link the Trans-Auckland Express! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma8IgxHcAoE

http://silver-machine.blogspot.com
doloras
Railfan

Postby pcuser42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:48 am

Akarana wrote:I plan to get around the network and take some photos of the progress midway through the shutdown, so expect some images in the near future :)

Did that yesterday, but haven't got around to uploading photos yet.
"We live in cities, you'll never see on screen, not very pretty but we sure know how to run things"
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

Postby Akarana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 am

pcuser42 wrote:Did that yesterday, but haven't got around to uploading photos yet.

Bet me to it huh? ;)
Akarana
Railfan

Postby pcuser42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:47 am

My photos from yesterday and the day before (click to enlarge)

Papakura

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size
The track connections in this photo seem odd, why is the Platform 2 track connected to the Down main and the centre track left with nowhere to go? :|

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Manukau

Click to view full size
MIT construction progress

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size
Bloody Mitre 10, built their store so I can't see around the corner :P

Papatoetoe

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size
Note the placement of gantries for the third main here

Mangere/Otahuhu

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Britomart

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Mt Albert

Click to view full size

Click to view full size
"We live in cities, you'll never see on screen, not very pretty but we sure know how to run things"
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

Postby kaiwhara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Because the connection between P2 and the Down Main is only temporary Alex.
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby pcuser42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:20 pm

kaiwhara wrote:Because the connection between P2 and the Down Main is only temporary Alex.

I was hoping that would be the case :P
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

Postby odaikorob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 pm

pcuser42 wrote:My photos from yesterday and the day before (click to enlarge)
Mangere/Otahuhu
Click to view full size

Are there any mast bases on the roadside of the track in the above pic? If there only gantries for placement on those mast bases on the right hand side of the photo, they wont reach across all 3 tracks...eh. Furthermore, apart from those 3 bases pictured, there dont seem to be any other mast bases at all going towards Middlemore. ???

Are there any mast bases at all in these Otahuhu pics (below)? Cant see none! Not enough time surely before end January, for concrete to be poured / cured in time for portal erection and traction stringing. When KR say they will have traction done up to as far as Westfield, is their definition of 'Westfield' in fact Middlemore Station???

Click to view full size

Click to view full size

Click to view full size[/quote]
横浜出身、電車男

間もなく、電車がまいります。危ないですから黄色線の内側までお下がりください。
odaikorob
Bus Foamer

Postby pcuser42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm

odaikorob wrote:Are there any mast bases on the roadside of the track in the above pic? If there only gantries for placement on those mast bases on the right hand side of the photo, they wont reach across all 3 tracks...eh. Furthermore, apart from those 3 bases pictured, there dont seem to be any other mast bases at all going towards Middlemore. ???

Doesn't seem to be, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for KiwiRail to realign the track first before pouring bases.

odaikorob wrote:Are there any mast bases at all in these Otahuhu pics (below)? Cant see none!

None there either.
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

Postby Akarana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

pcuser42 wrote:Click to view full size

That is just asking for trouble. Awful location for it as well :?
Akarana
Railfan

Postby vworp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm

pcuser42 wrote:
odaikorob wrote:Furthermore, apart from those 3 bases pictured, there dont seem to be any other mast bases at all going towards Middlemore. ???

Doesn't seem to be, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for KiwiRail to realign the track first before pouring bases.

odaikorob wrote:Are there any mast bases at all in these Otahuhu pics (below)? Cant see none!

None there either.

Westfield-Otahuhu-Middlemore is a construction site, and will be for some few weeks still. Masts and catenary can be installed quite simply over weekend shutdowns and during night works. This is why Mt Albert is not touched too, remember? No need to stress!
"I have even seriously considered going down the mail-order bride path." -- john-ston
"While we're at it let's say cars emit rainbows and fairy dust..." -- pcuser42 (on idiots calling cycling 'bad' for the environment)

Formerly darkie
vworp
Everything Fanboy

Postby kaiwhara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Westfield Station officially now starts about 30 meters north of the Middlemore Platform!
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby Matt L » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

What was going on at Britomart, were they starting to prepare for hanging the wires/conductor rails?
Matt L

Postby vworp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

kaiwhara wrote:Westfield Station officially now starts about 30 meters north of the Middlemore Platform!

The new Outer Home is just north of Papatoetoe, yes?
"I have even seriously considered going down the mail-order bride path." -- john-ston
"While we're at it let's say cars emit rainbows and fairy dust..." -- pcuser42 (on idiots calling cycling 'bad' for the environment)

Formerly darkie
vworp
Everything Fanboy

Postby kaiwhara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 pm

vworp wrote:
kaiwhara wrote:Westfield Station officially now starts about 30 meters north of the Middlemore Platform!

The new Outer Home is just north of Papatoetoe, yes?

No, the Outer Home is where the Intermediate just north of the Middlemore Platform was. Station Limits Westfield now starts there.
kaiwhara

Postby odaikorob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm

vworp wrote:
pcuser42 wrote:
odaikorob wrote:Furthermore, apart from those 3 bases pictured, there dont seem to be any other mast bases at all going towards Middlemore. ???

None there either.

Westfield-Otahuhu-Middlemore is a construction site, and will be for some few weeks still. Masts and catenary can be installed quite simply over weekend shutdowns and during night works. This is why Mt Albert is not touched too, remember? No need to stress!

Certainly understand that but In the case of Mt Albert, the concrete mast bases and masts are already in place and have been for some time, thus it will be easy to complete the traction there once the station is finished. Traction work can in fact be done from just east of Mt Albert througn Baldwin Ave, Morningside etc, leaving the Mt Albert Station section out until building work there is done.

Concrete as we know, takes some weeks to cure enough to safely support the weight of gantries ongoing so given there are no mast bases in place fully between Middlemore and Westfield right now, I doubt thus that there will be any traction completed on that part of the line until after April. Hopefully the traction crews will, once they have fully wired up Manurewa to Middlemore and Puhinui to Manukau over the next week, move on to completing by end Jan, traction from Westfield up to Ellerslie and finish the outstanding work between Whau Creek and Mt Albert Pak n Save....then it can be said that 60% of the network is wired up.
横浜出身、電車男

odaikorob
Bus Foamer

Postby kaiwhara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Theres a lot work and heavy machinery around Otahuhu - there is more track alterations to come! They will not pour concrete while all of that is going on...
kaiwhara

Postby odaikorob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Akarana wrote:
pcuser42 wrote:Click to view full size

That is just asking for trouble. Awful location for it as well :?

Yes, rather silly to put a gantry in that particular place on the platform. Definite safety hazard for boarding / leaving the train. If it was in the centre of the platform it would be fine. Why can't it be like the others there and be placed on the road side of the track?
横浜出身、電車男

odaikorob
Bus Foamer

Postby odaikorob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 pm

kaiwhara wrote:Theres a lot work and heavy machinery around Otahuhu - there is more track alterations to come! They will not pour concrete while all of that is going on...

Yes, as I said, no mast base work will be done for some weeks yet and thereafter, no mast erection / traction work will be done til at least April I reckon. The 60% of network wiring target to be met by end Jan will thus be achieved through work in other locations.
横浜出身、電車男

odaikorob
Bus Foamer

Postby odaikorob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

That it does sir!
横浜出身、電車男

odaikorob
Bus Foamer

PreviousNext

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion