Rata Street Bridge (New Lynn)

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Rata Street Bridge (New Lynn)

Postby geoff_184 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone here knows the story behind why the Rata Street bridge between New Lynn and Avondale, is built the way that it is? It's unusual in that half the deck space is not used, and it's built on a different alignment to the actual road itself. In fact it appears to be wide enough for six or seven lanes, indicating it was once intended for bigger things. Anyone know why it's built like this?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Re: Rata Street Bridge (New Lynn)

Postby Kalelovil » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 pm

IIRC, one difference is that that route between New Lynn and Avondale, in addition to Green Lane and the Pakuranga Bridge, were planned and owned by the Auckland Regional Authority as regional roads.
Last edited by Kalelovil on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We need to reject the business model that measures a nation’s economic progress in terms of kilometers of roads while turning a blind eye to avoidable human suffering." - Lord Robertson
Kalelovil
Bus Foamer

Postby Nick R » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 pm

A leftover from the stillborn Henderson Motorway perhaps? Either that or it was just easier to build a wider square bridge than a curved one.
I should still listen to Doloras.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby drosophila » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 am

I've often wondered this too, has a feel to it like the New North Rd/Dominion Rd intersection, i.e. overbuilt. Perhaps they really did plan to link this into the Northwestern at some point? Did original motorway plans include a motorway here?
drosophila
Railfan

Postby john-ston » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 am

drosophila wrote:I've often wondered this too, has a feel to it like the New North Rd/Dominion Rd intersection, i.e. overbuilt. Perhaps they really did plan to link this into the Northwestern at some point? Did original motorway plans include a motorway here?

The 1960s motorway plans involved a Henderson to Northwestern Motorway. It might also be interesting to note that in later years, the Dominion Road Motorway was not going to involve that New North Road/Dominion Road interchange and that the motorway route was going to be a little to the east.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby nz_aj » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm

It's a bit hard to tell going by this map, but certainly the angle of the existing bridge doesn't match the general direction of the alignment.
Looking at the intersection of lines through the Blockhouse Bay Rd/New North Rd intersection, and Gt Nth Rd/Clark St intersection, I think the motorway alignment was to the north of the existing bridge.
nz_aj
Bus Foamer

Postby Kalelovil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:37 pm

nz_aj wrote:It's a bit hard to tell going by this map, but certainly the angle of the existing bridge doesn't match the general direction of the alignment.
Looking at the intersection of lines through the Blockhouse Bay Rd/New North Rd intersection, and Gt Nth Rd/Clark St intersection, I think the motorway alignment was to the north of the existing bridge.

I have access to a more detailed map from the 1976 Comprehensive Transportation Study Review Background Report.
It's still a bit difficult to see but the location of the bridge roughly matches the proposed Henderson Motorway alignment.
Unfortunately the quality of the image resulting from scanning it is pretty poor.
“We need to reject the business model that measures a nation’s economic progress in terms of kilometers of roads while turning a blind eye to avoidable human suffering." - Lord Robertson
Kalelovil
Bus Foamer

Postby john-ston » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Perhaps the other possibility is that for once, the powers that be decided to plan ahead.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Feijoa » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 pm

john-ston wrote:Perhaps the other possibility is that for once, the powers that be decided to plan ahead.

...and seemingly wasted a lot of money, although thankfully less than if they'd persisted further in ramming a motorway through this area.

Just an idea: why not cover the bare concrete in dirt and grow some more plants on the bridge?
Feijoa
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby john-ston » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:08 am

Feijoa wrote:...and seemingly wasted a lot of money, although thankfully less than if they'd persisted further in ramming a motorway through this area.

Not really - sure, there would have been some small changes in costs, but there are a lot of costs related to the construction of a bridge that would remain fairly constant.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby drosophila » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 am

Feijoa wrote:Just an idea: why not cover the bare concrete in dirt and grow some more plants on the bridge?

Indeed, however, there's a lot of areas around here that look like they need some TLC.
drosophila
Railfan

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion