Train photos

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: Train photos

Postby kaiwhara » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

vworp wrote:
pcuser42 wrote:Does it cause any damage to the on-track signalling equipment? (I hope not...)

Which is mostly metal and composite materials... I suppose they'd have to inspect the balises to ensure they haven't been harmed in the process...

No problems, any signalling equipment is well away from the grinding stones...
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby Rubal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

Dramatic footage captures the moment a woman faints and falls onto the tracks in Madrid yesterday afternoon. She was saved by an off duty policeman. An incoming train managed to stop before reaching the platform because the driver realised there was problem when people waved signalling him to stop.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwxw4u
For your kind attention passengers, Bilaspur to Amritsar bound Chattisgarh Express is running 21 hours late.

The next stop is Manurewa. Mind the gap between the train and the platform.
Rubal
Trainee Transport Geek

Re: #125

Postby CarAudioGuy21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm

#125 today @ Portage Road Crossing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9zedIiR1Y
Auckland And NZ Rail + Airline Videos
www.youtube.com/caraudioguy21
CarAudioGuy21
Semi-Regular Train Rider

Postby AKL_Train_Driver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:27 pm

I found these on Youtube and thought I'd share! What many would say are, "the good "ol days!"...

Now uploading videos to http://www.youtube.com/user/AKLTrainDriver.

Also on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AKLTrainDriver
AKL_Train_Driver
Railfan

Postby vworp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for that! Great memories there :D If one wants to see how bad our railway could be, one only has to remember the days of the red sets.
"I have even seriously considered going down the mail-order bride path." -- john-ston
"While we're at it let's say cars emit rainbows and fairy dust..." -- pcuser42 (on idiots calling cycling 'bad' for the environment)

Formerly darkie
vworp
Everything Fanboy

Postby geoff_184 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:54 am

It's amazing how empty the trains were back then, carrying only about 900k per year. Auckland really did come very close to losing its urban passenger trains, and thank goodness for those with the foresight to purchase the DMU's at such a time.

That horn on DF 6260 is interesting...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Nick R » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:58 pm

There was one guy who was pretty much single handedly responsible for arranging the DMUs and thereby saving Auckland rail.

Can't recall his name, someone here probably knows, but I think he still works for AT.

That man deserves a medal or something, perhaps a plaque at Aotea station.
I should still listen to Doloras.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby RH9 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I used to catch the "red sets" everyday in the late 1980's. I fondly recall those lovely, noisy sounding DA's pulling them and even a DX on the odd occassion.

Thanks for the vids and memories :) A train on a warm summers evening between Meadowbank and Ak Central with the doors open is a something that made me fall in love with train travel!

Would be nice to see the Northerner depart the station too; that train had a certain charm to it even though it was "vintage" in its make-up: http://transpressnz.blogspot.co.nz/2011 ... kanae.html
RH9
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby hinvest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 am

AKL_Train_Driver wrote:I found these on Youtube and thought I'd share! What many would say are, "the good "ol days!"...

These videos are great, very interesting.
And 22 years later, I have been driving 4732 just last week.

Cheers,
Joseph
--
Opinions and views in my comments and links are my own and don't necessarily represent those of my employer. This is a personal account.
hinvest
Daily PT User

Postby jefft » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I wish I'd used the trains back then. At that time it wasn't even a consideration for my travel option list.
jefft
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby john-ston » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm

When my grandparents visited New Zealand in 1990, they joked about how pathetic the trains were in length - they were of course used to Cape Town services where services are sometimes up to fourteen carriages long (sadly, I don't know how long the standard Cape Town EMU carriage is).
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby dpalenski » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't what it was about those videos but this song kept creeping into my head while watching them

Oh Sun you grow my food and you kill my enemies, your totality worth the skin cancer - Son Goku

The Gray ghost,Iron paw strikes again!! - The Dog
dpalenski
Railfan

Postby Cogload » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Great YouTube vids.

I have treasured memories of single lines on the NAL.
Cogload
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby pass22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Nick R wrote:There was one guy who was pretty much single handedly responsible for arranging the DMUs and thereby saving Auckland rail.

Can't recall his name, someone here probably knows, but I think he still works for AT.

That man deserves a medal or something, perhaps a plaque at Aotea station.

His name is Ray Siddles. He still works for Auckland Transport.
pass22
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby pickle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 pm

What does he do for AT?
"Being penalised for bus/train interchange while parking remains free is just bloody ridiculous!"- Keg
pickle
Certified Trainspotter

Postby pass22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

His name is Ray Siddles. He still works for Auckland Transport.

He was a manager for Cityrail and his job was basically to wind the system down. Apparently while he was on holiday in Perth he came across the DMUs and enquired about buying them for Auckland. And that's how he ended up turning the whole thing around. I'm not sure about the truth of my next statement, but I have heard that some in power were not happy with him for this and this led to him leaving the role. I'm not sure what he does for Auckland Transport now.
pass22
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby vworp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:41 am

Sounds like a documentary in the making...
"I have even seriously considered going down the mail-order bride path." -- john-ston
"While we're at it let's say cars emit rainbows and fairy dust..." -- pcuser42 (on idiots calling cycling 'bad' for the environment)

Formerly darkie
vworp
Everything Fanboy

Postby pickle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am

Possible title: "From the demise of the tram network to the opening of the CIty Rail Link, the decline and growth of Auckland public transport."

A shame TV networks don't do documentaries anymore.
"Being penalised for bus/train interchange while parking remains free is just bloody ridiculous!"- Keg
pickle
Certified Trainspotter

Postby geoff_184 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:05 pm

royce wrote:There seemed to be no mention of safety concerns over mixing heavy rail and light rail at that time. I wonder when that first came up.

I thought the plan was for independent networks? I don't think they were going to mix them on the same tracks.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Nick R » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Initially they were planning to run light rail on the existing network and link them through Queen St.

Then they realised mixed traffic was unworkable, and planned to run diesel heavies on the south and east and only light rail on the western and Queen St, with passenger interchange at Britomart. So that was separate networks.

That idea fell through too, no doubt the question of freight on the NAL had something to do with it.
I should still listen to Doloras.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

PreviousNext

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion