Christchurch Bus Tender Results

The place to discuss better transport for the South Island
Forum rules
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour.
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Christchurch Bus Tender Results

Postby kaiwhara » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Evening

I have yet to have these confirmed by evidence, but I am led to believe the following contracts have been awarded:

7 Hallswell / Queenspark- Christchurch Bus Services (through route)
40 New Brighton via Wainoni - Christchurch Bus Services
46 Shirley - Christchurch Bus Services
49 North Shore - Christchurch Bus Services
60 New Brighton via Parklands - Christchurch Bus Services

Leopard and Redbus did not gain any of the above runs. Of these routes, Redbus had the 40, 46 and 49, and CBS held the 7, 60 and 70 routes (70 now being the Queenspark end of the new 7 route).

Still to come are the 5, 51, 81, 83, 84, 520, 521. Route 518 last time I heard was being discontinued.

Cheers
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Re: Christchurch Bus Tender Results

Postby Lurch » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:21 pm

kaiwhara, you are correct. After results being delayed for over a month, all the tenders went to Christchurch Bus Services essentially based on what is considered a low,low tender bid. Interesting to see if they have the buses and drivers to handle the new runs.

Note that under the new contract system requested by Ecan is a gross tender system. Essentially all money collected goes to Ecan and they pay only the contract price. For example ABC buses says that they will do the service for $1 million, Ecan will pay them the $1m. However if ABC buses collected $1.4m, Ecan will keep the money over the contract price.

Not much room for building a business is it?
Never drive faster than what your guardian angel can fly.
Lurch
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby luke.xensen » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Under that tender system it seems as there is no incentive for the bus company to maximise patronage whatsoever. So no reason for good customer service, reliability etc. A better idea could be to slightly modify it by letting ABC buses keep maybe 10% of the money they collect over the tender price.
luke.xensen
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby PTNZ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 am

luke.xensen wrote:Under that tender system it seems as there is no incentive for the bus company to maximise patronage whatsoever. So no reason for good customer service, reliability etc. A better idea could be to slightly modify it by letting ABC buses keep maybe 10% of the money they collect over the tender price.

Under gross contract there is very little that an operator can do to maximise patronage anyway, given that the regional council typically dictates routes, timetabling, vehicle specification (albeit to a point) etc.
PTNZ
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby JSH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:25 am

luke.xensen wrote:Under that tender system it seems as there is no incentive for the bus company to maximise patronage whatsoever. So no reason for good customer service, reliability etc. A better idea could be to slightly modify it by letting ABC buses keep maybe 10% of the money they collect over the tender price.

I'm sure that a minimum standard of service (reliability, customer service, vehicle condition etc) will be written into the contract and if not met will go against any bus company in future tenders. In anycase, as PTNZ points out, it is really the regional council which has the mechanisms to maximise patronage and to a lesser extent the city & district councils who are responsible for developing infrastructure such as bus lanes, bus stops/stations etc.
JSH
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Lurch » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Ecan operates a 2 envelop system for determining who wins the run. 1 envelop is the price that ABC say that they can do the run for. The second is the number of KPI faults and compliments that ABC have been operating under. These KPI are essentially converted to $s and added to the bid.

Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are monitored by ECan which fines the bus company $,000s for breaching. Things such as leaving terminii early, failing to follow routes, or even completing the run. Obviously there are conditions that exist that are out of the hands of the driver (such as traffic and passenger loadings) and it would be unreasonable to fine the company for those breaches. However sitting at a terminus and leaving 10 minutes late because the book that you are reading is too engrossing is not one of the acceptable conditions.

All these conditions would be specified in the contract but it is true that Ecan determines the route, timetable etc and the city council is responsible for the bus stops, signs (anything that can be touched).

So for ABC to maximise its income it has ensure that it reduces the expenses such as accidents, fuel bill, and wastage. ABC may have to look at other forms of revenue that is separate from ECan.
Lurch
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby jarbury » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm

The advantage of gross contracting is that the Regional Council can use money it makes from profitable routes to help subsidise non-profitable routes. Under the "old" system, you saw the profitable routes being cherry-picked off by the bus companies as commercial routes while the Regional Councils got stuck subsidising the non-profitable services. This led to massive cost increases for the Regional Councils.
Stay on topic, don't troll, if pain persists please see the site admin.

All posts are my personal opinions.
jarbury
Uber Transit Geek

Postby PTNZ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Lurch wrote:Ecan operates a 2 envelop system for determining who wins the run. 1 envelop is the price that ABC say that they can do the run for. The second is the number of KPI faults and compliments that ABC have been operating under. These KPI are essentially converted to $s and added to the bid.

Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are monitored by ECan which fines the bus company $,000s for breaching. Things such as leaving terminii early, failing to follow routes, or even completing the run. Obviously there are conditions that exist that are out of the hands of the driver (such as traffic and passenger loadings) and it would be unreasonable to fine the company for those breaches. However sitting at a terminus and leaving 10 minutes late because the book that you are reading is too engrossing is not one of the acceptable conditions.

All these conditions would be specified in the contract but it is true that Ecan determines the route, timetable etc and the city council is responsible for the bus stops, signs (anything that can be touched).

So for ABC to maximise its income it has ensure that it reduces the expenses such as accidents, fuel bill, and wastage. ABC may have to look at other forms of revenue that is separate from ECan.

Spot on. It should also be noted that this methodology is used by the vast majority of regional councils who run services via the gross-contract system.

That's a great summary Lurch! :D I think people can see what aspects of the service that can be controlled by the operator, and how indirectly, this does have an impact on patronage. Anecdotally, I can tell you that operators do in fact have input into the routing and timetabling process as well, but this is generally quite informal.
PTNZ
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Lurch » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Thank you PTNZ for the compliment. I guess that this driver does have some brains then?

Of course this topic has been hot around the staff table.
Lurch
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Bus_Nutter » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 pm

the latest results are out and redbus lost all the contracts they currently operate to Leopard.
Leopard got the 5 , 51 , 81 , 83, 84 , 88 they chose to hand back the 51 and 83 , 84 which means that CBS being the next lowest tender will take these runs over. Change over is around the 1st November 2010 and will see Leopard buying approx another 35 new buses and CBS buying approx another 30.

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Lurch » Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Leopard won 5 (Southshore), 81 (Lincoln), 520, 521 (Burnham). The 81 and 520/521 will be linked via Rolleston. There is no 88.
CBS aquired 51 (Tower Junction), 83 (Hei Hei), and 84 (Russely). Not too sure about the 518 (Hornby to LIncoln shuttle).

In all there is 59 buses that would be needed and approximately 180 drivers @ 3 drivers per bus. According to the tender manual (that I have read), these buses have to be new, Euro 4 minimum, and every company are required to ensure that at PVT (Peak vehicle Time) that there is a minimum of 10% of vehicles in a yard ready for immediate use if there is a breakdown or problem.

I don't think that CBS will be able to fulfill that option.
Lurch
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Bus_Nutter » Wed May 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Lurch wrote:Leopard won 5 (Southshore), 81 (Lincoln), 520, 521 (Burnham). The 81 and 520/521 will be linked via Rolleston. There is no 88.
CBS aquired 51 (Tower Junction), 83 (Hei Hei), and 84 (Russely). Not too sure about the 518 (Hornby to LIncoln shuttle).

In all there is 59 buses that would be needed and approximately 180 drivers @ 3 drivers per bus. According to the tender manual (that I have read), these buses have to be new, Euro 4 minimum, and every company are required to ensure that at PVT (Peak vehicle Time) that there is a minimum of 10% of vehicles in a yard ready for immediate use if there is a breakdown or problem.

I don't think that CBS will be able to fulfill that option.

I was aware that Leopard had won the 5 Southshore and 81 Lincoln. From what I understand the 518 Hornby - Lincoln shuttle is being discontinued and is being replaced by the Selwyn Star. Which is in essence the new route 88. the 520 and 521 as far as Im aware are being merged to form parts of the 88 route but I could be wrong on that one.

Leopard will be getting approx 35 new buses. CBS will be getting approx 25 - 30 new buses but what they will be is a mystery.

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Lurch » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm

I think that the number of buses maybe even higher. Remember that in about a month CBS will be taking over the 40, 49, and 46 run that they got off Red Bus. They have 5 buses free with handing back the Timaru runs.
IMHO the 40 is a redundant run. It follows the 49 to Bower Ave and then straight into Brighton which is basically serviced by the 84.
The 51 doesnt have many people to pick up from Tower Junction to Hagley Avenue (2 is the most and that was because it beat the 7 and 22.)
Red Bus is also staring a trial service of Darfield to Christchurch that is beginning at the end of May. Initially it will be only Mon - Fri with one trip in the morning and one back at night.
Lurch
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby JSH » Sun May 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Lurch wrote:Red Bus is also staring a trial service of Darfield to Christchurch that is beginning at the end of May. Initially it will be only Mon - Fri with one trip in the morning and one back at night.

That is interesting... an Oxford service seems to be on the books as well (see the Northern Star service review) & Governors Bay. If they catch on could we see Amberley & maybe even Ashburton linked? "Country Star" anyone?
JSH
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby matthew25187 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 am

Lurch wrote:The 51 doesnt have many people to pick up from Tower Junction to Hagley Avenue (2 is the most and that was because it beat the 7 and 22.)

One obvious source of potential patronage for the 51 route is passengers for the Tranz Scenic trains at Addington railway station. I have even suggested to ECan in one of their recent Metro service reviews that they should investigate better timetabling and integration with the trains but nothing seems to have been done. Can't say I'm surprised.
matthew25187
Railfan

Postby Bus_Nutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:51 pm

matthew25187 wrote:
Lurch wrote:The 51 doesnt have many people to pick up from Tower Junction to Hagley Avenue (2 is the most and that was because it beat the 7 and 22.)

One obvious source of potential patronage for the 51 route is passengers for the Tranz Scenic trains at Addington railway station. I have even suggested to ECan in one of their recent Metro service reviews that they should investigate better timetabling and integration with the trains but nothing seems to have been done. Can't say I'm surprised.

That would be to hard to link the 51 Tower Junction - New Brighton run with the trains arrival and departure times. Arrival times can very and I wouldnt want to be sitting waiting for the train at the Railway station at night esp in winter.

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Bus_Nutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:54 pm

JSH wrote:
Lurch wrote:Red Bus is also staring a trial service of Darfield to Christchurch that is beginning at the end of May. Initially it will be only Mon - Fri with one trip in the morning and one back at night.

That is interesting... an Oxford service seems to be on the books as well (see the Northern Star service review) & Governors Bay. If they catch on could we see Amberley & maybe even Ashburton linked? "Country Star" anyone?

Redbus are looking at starting an Amberley - City - Amberley bus service now. It would be a great idea to do a service to Ashburton make it way cheaper than what Intercity and Atomic charge now to get down. Yes the Country Star idea does have an appeal to it.

Oxford services have been on / off again idea's and not ever really gained any traction but will see what happens with the Northern Star review. What should really be happening is the Northern Star extended to Amberley and at certain times on weekends it extends to Waipara and the Weka Pass Railway when they are operating.

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Bus_Nutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 pm

[Yes the 40 run is a redundant run given it hardly picks anyone up. Esp down Wainoni Road between Bower Ave and Orrick Cresent where the current 84 turns off. After November the whole eastern side of the City apart from the Metro Star and the 5 Southshore and the Orbiter will be under the control of Christchurch Bus Services. Yipeee more Zhong Tong's for me to ride on NOT.

CBS currently have 8 buses stationed in Timaru 6 Zhong Tongs and 2 optares. Ritchies will be taking over the runs and will be putting 4 brand new SLF's on the runs I'm lead to believe they will be Designline but will check once they take over down in Timaru. When CBS take over the 40 , 46 , 49

The 49 wont exist it will be known as the 45 North Shore bus and go via The Palms and the old 60 route to and from Lake Terrace Road. The 40 will continue as normal and the 46 is being extended to service Tamara Park north of Burwood Hospital when I was up that way the other night they were in the process of marking out the bus stop on the corner of Prestons Road and Rothsay Road just on the outskirts of Tamara Park so much for the bus going in there as thats what the residents wanted.

The 60 will be going its normal route till it reaches lake terrace road and it will instead be servicing Bunnings and The homebase before carrying on to Burwood Hospital and New Brighton via its new route of Marshlands Road , Mairehau Road and then on its old route. Intresting times ahead.

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby Bus_Nutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm

I will be watching with intrest to see if CBS do fulfill their contract requirements and are able to hold everything together. Leopard wont have a problem sorting that they already have their new buses on order I'm told a mixture of Kiwi and Designline but I will be waiting to see what happens on that one. CBS got the 51 , 83 and 84 second hand. Leopard won the lot but chose to hand back the 51 , 83 and 84 it would have been better if they had handed back the 51 only and kept the others eg 83 / 84 it would have given them the whole of the Hornby area. Hornby is going to be a very different scene come the 1st of November

Nick
Bus_Nutter
Occasional Bus Catcher

Postby matthew25187 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Bus_Nutter wrote:That would be to hard to link the 51 Tower Junction - New Brighton run with the trains arrival and departure times. Arrival times can very and I wouldnt want to be sitting waiting for the train at the Railway station at night esp in winter.

I'm aware that the train arrival times can vary wildly, but what I had in mind was not for a 51 bus to wait for the train to arrive but to schedule 2 or 3 departures of a 51 bus from Tower Junction after the trains are due to arrive at Addington. If the train is like 2 hours late or something really unusual then I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect the train passengers to make other arrangements. At the moment the last 51 bus departs Tower Junction before the last train is due to arrive at Addington, and even for the Tranz Scenic the last 51 departure doesn't allow for baggage claim at the railway station.
matthew25187
Railfan

Next

Return to South Island Transport Forum