Hornby Industrial Line Sidings

The place to discuss better transport for the South Island
Forum rules
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour.
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: Hornby Industrial Line Sidings

Postby Gerald Petrie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 am

pete wrote:When was the Prebbleton over bridge built? The Little River/Southbridge line or the road were presumably never overly busy, and the bridge was, I am guessing, built not long before the line was closed. Is there a back story as to why the bridge was built?

I have not researched it but I can tell you what I was always told. Sometime in the 1920s or 1930s the son of the local M. P. was killed there. The M. P. then lobbied to get it built.

Now here's something to ponder. I think it would have been very easy to lobby for this because of the unusually sharp angle the line crosses the road. I've tried to think of other examples, Lincoln Road , Garlands Road . . . but neither are as sharp as Prebbleton.

I doubt the line was protected by bells or lights.

Gerald Petrie
Daily PT User

Postby locost_bryan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 am

Gerald Petrie wrote:
pete wrote:When was the Prebbleton over bridge built? The Little River/Southbridge line or the road were presumably never overly busy, and the bridge was, I am guessing, built not long before the line was closed. Is there a back story as to why the bridge was built?

I have not researched it but I can tell you what I was always told. Sometime in the 1920s or 1930s the son of the local M. P. was killed there. The M. P. then lobbied to get it built.

Now here's something to ponder. I think it would have been very easy to lobby for this because of the unusually sharp angle the line crosses the road. I've tried to think of other examples, Lincoln Road , Garlands Road . . . but neither are as sharp as Prebbleton.

I doubt the line was protected by bells or lights.

It was on a list of Canterbury crossings to be eliminated, announced by the Minister in early 1937. The bridge was being built in 1938, according to a paragraph in the Ellesmere Guardian, and was later nicknamed "Mt Semple".
locost_bryan
Railfan

Postby pete » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

1938? Wow, I was well out there. Thanks guys, it was something that was always a puzzle to me, so thanks heaps for info. Something I must follow up on.
The Mainland Mullah
pete
Trainee Transport Geek

Re: Little River Line

Postby dave the rave » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm

all this talk of the Hornby industrial line reminds me of when I was a kid and going over to Akaroa for picnics with my family. I was a train nut then too and driving from chc, I couldnt wait till we got to Motukarara where the embankment and remains of the Little River railway clearly came into view. you could follow it all the way to Little River. Over the years I have been surprised at the lack of photographic record of this line however. I have seen the odd picture of a train at the Little River Station, but very few of trains on the line between there and Lincoln. It was a very scenic line trundling alongside the shores of lakes Ellesmere and Forsyth so it is disappointing that very little of it has been recorded. The Southbridge line seems to have been preferred by rail photographers at the time which is surprising as the line was nothing of note scenery wise. Any pics anybody?
dave the rave
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Kahukowhai » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:36 pm

The style of the bridge was a typical road bridge style dating around 1930s to 1950s (IMO). Urban legend has it that the Minister of Railways or some other high official nearly ran into a train on the crossing.
http://facebook.com/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMapsFlickr
Kahukowhai
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby locost_bryan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 am

Kahukowhai wrote:

The style of the bridge was a typical road bridge style dating around 1930s to 1950s (IMO). Urban legend has it that the Minister of Railways or some other high official nearly ran into a train on the crossing.

There was a program to grade separate crossings, starting sometime in the 1920s (after a series of fatal crashes), and accelerated in the mid-1930s as part of Labour's make-work scheme. A search of Papers Past or the AtoJs will find a lot of info. Auckland's 1930's waterfront deviation had no at-grade crossings, and the 1930's grade easements on the NAL also bridged a number of crossings. There were also similar programs in Otago, Canterbury, Wellington, Waikato, Northland (after a bus was struck and 6 killed).

Presumably the bridges were built to a fairly standard PWD/MoW design.
locost_bryan
Railfan

Postby john-ston » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm

locost_bryan wrote:
Kahukowhai wrote:

There was a program to grade separate crossings, starting sometime in the 1920s (after a series of fatal crashes), and accelerated in the mid-1930s as part of Labour's make-work scheme. A search of Papers Past or the AtoJs will find a lot of info. Auckland's 1930's waterfront deviation had no at-grade crossings, and the 1930's grade easements on the NAL also bridged a number of crossings. There were also similar programs in Otago, Canterbury, Wellington, Waikato, Northland (after a bus was struck and 6 killed).

Also, I understand that Springs Road was a Main Highway. There was a particularly big push to grade separate Main Highway crossings.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Kahukowhai » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:20 pm

locost_bryan wrote:
Kahukowhai wrote:

Probably goes back earlier than that; the Dunedin-Mosgiel duplication works more than 100 years ago eliminated something like 15 level crossings.
http://facebook.com/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMapsFlickr
Kahukowhai
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby john-ston » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:08 am

Kahukowhai wrote:Probably goes back earlier than that; the Dunedin-Mosgiel duplication works more than 100 years ago eliminated something like 15 level crossings.

Did the same thing happen with Auckland to Penrose duplication?
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby locost_bryan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:52 am

john-ston wrote:
Kahukowhai wrote:Probably goes back earlier than that; the Dunedin-Mosgiel duplication works more than 100 years ago eliminated something like 15 level crossings.

Did the same thing happen with Auckland to Penrose duplication?

Yes, except for Sarawia St in Newmarket.

You can see the overbridges in the 1940 aerial photos on the Auckland Council GIS website http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/aucklandcouncilviewer/ (click on the "Tools" icon, select "Historic aerial photography" from the dropdown menu, then use the slider bar to select the year). :geek:

Penrose station and Great South Road 1940
locost_bryan
Railfan

Postby john-ston » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:40 pm

locost_bryan wrote:Yes, except for Sarawia St in Newmarket.

I understand that the Sarawia Street level crossing came after the line was duplicated.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby locost_bryan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 am

john-ston wrote:
locost_bryan wrote:Yes, except for Sarawia St in Newmarket.

I understand that the Sarawia Street level crossing came after the line was duplicated.

Yes, 1929, replacing a previous crossing at Railway St. The line from Newmarket to Penrose was duplicated and grade separated in 1907/1908, prior to the new Parnell tunnel opening in 1915. This 1915 Herald article discusses proposals to grade separate Victoria Crescent (now Davis Crescent) and King St (now Kingdon St).
locost_bryan
Railfan

Previous

Return to South Island Transport Forum