David Killick's opinion piece in The Press (17/09/14)

The place to discuss better transport for the South Island
Forum rules
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour.
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

David Killick's opinion piece in The Press (17/09/14)

Postby madras » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:16 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/opinion/perspective/10507219/Hitting-the-track-a-smooth-option

OPINION: Do you want to go on a train ride? Not in a carriage, but up front in the cab with the driver.

You bet, I replied when locomotive engineer Andy Miles asked me if I would like to ride with him on a freight train from Christchurch to Kaikoura and back.

Andy has been in the loco service since 1981 and is familiar with every curve, slope, bridge, tunnel, and level crossing on the track in Canterbury. He has also witnessed the waves of restructuring that have left rail much diminished since its glory days.

Nonetheless, Andy believes rail still has loads of potential, both for freight and passengers. The trip will show me how easy and practical a commuter rail service could be for Christchurch and Canterbury....

Addington <-> Rangiora in 30 mins? Surely there is a market for a service that can do that.
madras
Semi-Regular Train Rider

Re: David Killick's opinion piece in The Press (17/09/14)

Postby john-ston » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 pm

madras wrote:Addington <-> Rangiora in 30 mins? Surely there is a market for a service that can do that.

Problem is that the author was in a freight train that didn't stop. A passenger train would stop at several stations.
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Return to South Island Transport Forum