Logs to Lyttelton?

The place to discuss better transport for the South Island
Forum rules
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour.
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Logs to Lyttelton?

Postby madras » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Saw a surprising number of logs on a Lyttelton bound train (from either Main South or Midland) a while ago.

I didn't think there were any rail connected forestry blocks that have Lyttelton as their closest port?
madras
Semi-Regular Train Rider

Re: Logs to Lyttelton?

Postby luke.xensen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Logs have long been loaded out of Stillwater near Greymouth. did see pic from MSL train, not where they came from.
luke.xensen
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Gibbo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I regularly check the Lyttleton Port Co. website & look at the 'log yard' webcam... have noticed what seems to be quite a lot more logs coming into the yard by rail. I understood that they had been coming from Stillwater but that they are trucked there from south of Hokitika as KR didn't have capacity on the branch service to load them out of Hokitika. Perhaps now with the advent of a 2nd branch service they are loading them out of Hokitika & getting more of them!?! I understand there's also a swag of windblown logs to be removed from south Westland forests.
Gibbo
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Islander » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:48 am

Gibbo wrote: I understand there's also a swag of windblown logs to be removed from south Westland forests.

Are they native timber? I think it is illegal to export unprocessed native logs.
Islander
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Gibbo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Islander wrote:
Gibbo wrote: I understand there's also a swag of windblown logs to be removed from south Westland forests.

Are they native timber? I think it is illegal to export unprocessed native logs.

Yeah you might be right, guess they're probably pines. IIRC the Govt has passed some sort of legislation allowing the one-off removal of native windblown trees but that's probably nothing to do with the logs railed to POL.
Gibbo
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Kahukowhai » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:13 pm

madras wrote:Saw a surprising number of logs on a Lyttelton bound train (from either Main South or Midland) a while ago.

I didn't think there were any rail connected forestry blocks that have Lyttelton as their closest port?

It depends entirely on what port calls the logging ships make. Even if the logs were from Southland the shipping line might elect only to call at Lyttelton.
http://facebook.com/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMaps
http://bit.ly/NZRailMapsFlickr
Kahukowhai
Trainee Transport Geek

Return to South Island Transport Forum