KiwiRail Newsletter ("Express")

The place to discuss national transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour.
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: KiwiRail Newsletter ("Express")

Postby robincole » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Considering it rarely gets over 30 degrees here, and that in Victoria for example heat restrictions mean a speed reduction to 80/90km/h, here its 40km/h, but it only applies to passenger trains, yeah I'd call that draconian.
robincole
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby gregelz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 am

Latest express news still has the "great northen explorer" late every day and even bus replacemnents on 2 days. Kiwirail now charge a preium price to travel by rail but still cant get there on time or even run a train on some of the days. I wonder if the "heat" restriction excuse will still cut the mustard in the winter, Lets wait and see.......
gregelz
Daily PT User

Postby RH9 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:11 am

robincole wrote:Considering it rarely gets over 30 degrees here, and that in Victoria for example heat restrictions mean a speed reduction to 80/90km/h, here its 40km/h, but it only applies to passenger trains, yeah I'd call that draconian.

I saw the 40kph boards on even the best sections of our network on a recent trip. Mercer and Matamata namely..........did seem excessive as the track is either buckled or it isnt :roll:

Also these are good straight and flat sections with good visibility.

As far as the Northern Explorer goes, last September our journey to Akl was 20 mins early and it included a 25kph restriction between Papakura and Otahuhu. In my mind the service could have easily arrived 1 hr early if it wasnt for that. I guess there must be alot of track renewal happening over summer as well as the 40kph heat speed boards. Someone will know where the main delays are at present.

Its a wonderful trip; expensive but anyone who loves trains should try the AK carriages.
RH9
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby pcuser42 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

gregelz wrote:Latest express news still has the "great northen explorer" late every day and even bus replacemnents on 2 days. Kiwirail now charge a preium price to travel by rail but still cant get there on time or even run a train on some of the days. I wonder if the "heat" restriction excuse will still cut the mustard in the winter, Lets wait and see.......

I hope this at least motivates KiwiRail to build another AKV...
"We live in cities, you'll never see on screen, not very pretty but we sure know how to run things"
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

Postby Chris Randal. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:28 pm

pcuser42 wrote:I hope this at least motivates KiwiRail to build another AKV...

Why - that would mean that they want to keep the long distance passenger business alive?
Campaign for the independent state of Auckland.
Chris Randal.
Certified Trainspotter

Postby tuktuk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:47 pm

robincole said:
Considering it rarely gets over 30 degrees here, and that in Victoria for example heat restrictions mean a speed reduction to 80/90km/h, here its 40km/h, but it only applies to passenger trains, yeah I'd call that draconian.

In the days of West Coast Railway operating Tranz Scenic, heat restrictions became a major issue that emerged with the introduction of the now familiar summer 40 km/ph restrictions after then business partners, Don Gibson and Gary MacDonald had bought into the business. I recall at the time that this was bitterly resented with Victorian summer heat restrictions of 70 km/ph being reported in the press as the comparison.

I am unsure whether the 40 km/ph restrictions are enforced by NZTA or Kiwirail. It would be worth an investigation of the science behind the argument for the heat restrictions. It should be noted that the NZ track gauge is substantially narrower than in Victoria and NZ track does operate through inherently less stable countryside. I wonder what happens in Queensland with the tilt trains? Are they subject to summer time heat restrictions?

The heat restrictions certainly played a role in the demise of the Northerner, and near demise of the Overlander. It is worth keeping a very careful eye on the current heat restrictions for the Northern Explorer. Consistently being an hour late or more is at the very least a big handicap to developing the business.
tuktuk
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby geoff_184 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:00 pm

RH9 wrote:Also these are good straight and flat sections with good visibility.

ISTR a passenger train a few years back encountering a heat buckle on straight track when it formed right in front of the fast moving train. They were lucky to get through it without toppling, and the event lead to the introduction of the speed restriction.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby tuktuk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:36 pm

geoff_184 wrote:
a passenger train a few years back encountering a heat buckle on straight track when it formed right in front of the fast moving train

OK understood, it was introduced in response to a specific incident.

I might also add that the heat restrictions pretty much crippled Wellington's commuter rail network that first summer from recollection, in 2001. In response to the network crisis in Wellington, engineering staff focused on fixing the network to avoid as much as possible, heat restrictions the following summer. And - by and large it worked. Which means that it is possible to operate a network in New Zealand weather and topographical conditions without heat restrictions over summer.

How has Auckland's metro network coped this summer?

Coming back to the mostly freight rail network away from the big cities, the relevant questions are: do different (ie - lesser) network infrastructure maintenance standards apply? Do these lower network standards result in poorer quality track more prone to buckling in summer? How do these network standards compare to say Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland? For a route with consistent 24/7 freight such as Auckland - Hamilton - Tauranga, what sorts of costs are involved in an upgrade programme to minimise summer heat restrictions? I presume that freight is subject to the same 40 km/ph restrictions which must therefore also disrupt freight schedules.

And - that southern border to the Auckland rail network is an interesting one. If the electric network is electrified to Pukekohe, then surely, the track between Papakura and Pukekohe needs to be maintained to the same consistent standard as the rest of the Auckland metro network, otherwise summertime delays over this section could cripple the rest of the network.
tuktuk
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby robincole » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:41 pm

The 40k speed restrictions usualy apply to passenger trains only, except where theres a specific problem as mentioned earlier. TransRail let standards slip around 2000 which bought the LTSA into the picture, now we're stuck with them. In reality derailments were far more common back in the 1970's.
robincole
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby mango » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 am

I was under the impression that heat 40's were introduced because of a period of incorectly welded rails. When the rails are destressed the heat 40's can be removed. KR mentions the length of track de-stressed per year in their infrastructure summaries. I also thought that the NIMT had prioirity for de-stressing so that heat 40's could be eliminated and trains run without speed restricitons. Someone may also know how many km's have been de-stressed and how many are left to go.
mango
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby robincole » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:57 am

Since the heat restrictions only apply to passenger trains there's not a lot of incentive to fix the problem in a hurry. Outside Auckland and Wellington anyway.
robincole
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Jonthekiwi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:40 am

Can you all please refrain from commenting in this thread. It was for posting the weekly links to "Express".

Got a comment on an issue? Open a new thread.

Moderator. Can you please remove these comments to keep this thread "clean" just for the weekly "Express" updates. Many thanks.
Jonthekiwi
Railfan

Postby Chris Randal. » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:44 am

Jonthekiwi wrote:Can you all please refrain from commenting in this thread. It was for posting the weekly links to "Express".

Moderator. Can you please remove these comments to keep this thread "clean" just for the weekly "Express" updates. Many thanks.

If comments directly pertain to articles in the "Express" I can't see why they can't be here.
Campaign for the independent state of Auckland.
Chris Randal.
Certified Trainspotter

Postby c46andc47 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 am

mango wrote:I was under the impression that heat 40's were introduced because of a period of incorectly welded rails. When the rails are destressed the heat 40's can be removed. KR mentions the length of track de-stressed per year in their infrastructure summaries. I also thought that the NIMT had prioirity for de-stressing so that heat 40's could be eliminated and trains run without speed restricitons. Someone may also know how many km's have been de-stressed and how many are left to go.

IIRC the heat speed restrictions were required because accountants rather than engineers managed the network in those days. In an attempt to reduce operating costs there was a big programme to weld bolted joints WITHOUT subsequently destressing the rail. I am sure that any engineer worth his salt could have predicted the outcome. That programme came back to bite Tranz Rail and probably is still causing problems for KiwiRail today.
c46andc47
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby scooter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am

Chris Randal. wrote:
Jonthekiwi wrote:Can you all please refrain from commenting in this thread. It was for posting the weekly links to "Express".

If comments directly pertain to articles in the "Express" I can't see why they can't be here.

No one else has an issue with it. Seems pointless to have another thread commenting on whats in here.
scooter
Railfan

Postby Jonthekiwi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:15 am

Postby confusis » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:29 am

Publius wrote:admins, can this topic not be locked down so only geoff can post to it?

IIRC it can be done with PHPBB if Geoff is added into a special user group. (or added to moderator group, and run this as a locked thread)

As always, thanks Geoff for posting the newsletters :)

EDIT: maybe have a subforum for these, and geoff posts a new thread for each one, which will encourage discussion.
Jonthekiwi
Railfan

Postby geoff_184 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:41 am

geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby geoff_184 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 am

geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby kaiwhara » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Jon, last time I checked, Myself, Jarbury, Andrew, Matt L, nzdn and cbtadmin were the moderators, not you.

Further, there is absolutely no reason at all why users should not be able to post in this thread if they wish to comment directly on issues raised in Express. If you wish any action be taken, you wold be far better off contacting us Mods than posting public demands on this group. Doing so is more likely to get us annoyed and look at your request less favourably. We do not appreciate being dictated to.

Mod
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby Jonthekiwi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you for your kind words.

Geoff set this thread up so he could post all the Kiwirail Express newsletters here. Very simple to find each edition...unless endless comments are made. Would you not agree it would be better for comments on topics would be better placed in separate, relevant threads???
Jonthekiwi
Railfan

PreviousNext

Return to Nationwide Transport Forum