Auckland Trains FAQ

General discussion forum for Auckland transport issues.
Forum rules
Please be courteous and factual. Remember that it is entirely normal for others to disagree with you. Forum moderators reserve the right to restrict access in the event of offensive behaviour (including trolling).
No commercial postings. This will result in user deletion.
Please stay on topic and remind other contributors to stay on topic.
No gratuitous profanity. "Gratuitous" is decided on a case by case basis.
Please report posts that you consider offensive instead of posting about it in the topic. Any comments regarding moderation should be confined to About This Forum.

Re: Auckland Trains FAQ

Postby Karlos » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

What time is the last train?

Bloody early to Pukekohe...
Electrification to Pukekohe. You know it makes sense...
Karlos
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Ratchet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Karlos wrote:
What time is the last train?

Bloody early to Pukekohe...

Good when it's early. But for some people, that'll be a differnt idea ;)
Quick! Edit the Wiki!
Ratchet
Railfan

Postby geoff_184 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Question: If somebody takes the train from Glen Innes to Onehunga, does the staff member give you two transfer tickets? It's a bit odd, as it's 2 stages, but 3 trips.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Matt L » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm

geoff_184 wrote:Question: If somebody takes the train from Glen Innes to Onehunga, does the staff member give you two transfer tickets? It's a bit odd, as it's 2 stages, but 3 trips.

The ticket machines now allow you to select a station on a different line so you only need one ticket, don't know what the stages would be though.
Matt L

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 pm

The new timetables have an odd note on the fare table for all points that intersect Onehunga/Te Papapa and stations south of Penrose (denoted with a "^"), which says:

"'Through' fare. Passengers must ask for a transfer ticket and connect at Penrose onto the next available service, or purchase a ticket for the next stage from the station Ticket Machine.

(emphasis on 'next' and bright red text reproduced as printed, a similar note exists for Manukau to stations south of Manukau naming Puhinui as the station to transfer at)

Perhaps this pre-dated the decision to allow through fares to be purchased, but does someone know for sure that you can select an station south of Penrose from the ticket machine at Onehunga or Te Papapa, or a station south of Manukau from the ticket machine at Manukau? I wonder what would happen if we used an AT-HOP card on one of those routes?

I go through Onehunga occasionally but not sure when I can next to try.

edit: originally wrongly said the above applied to Onehunga-to-East tickets - corrected to Onehunga and stations south of Penrose.
“People, not vehicles, are the economic lifeblood of a successful, vibrant city.” - Jahn Gehl to Auckland City Council, September 2010
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Andrew

Postby geoff_184 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Matt L wrote:
geoff_184 wrote:Question: If somebody takes the train from Glen Innes to Onehunga, does the staff member give you two transfer tickets? It's a bit odd, as it's 2 stages, but 3 trips.

The ticket machines now allow you to select a station on a different line so you only need one ticket, don't know what the stages would be though.

I'm wanting to know how they do it under the old system. Does the first train give you two transfer tickets, or do you get one transfer ticket from the first train, and another from the second?

Both old and new systems are 2 stages for Glen Innes to Onehunga, via three train trips. Glen Innes to Westfield is 1 stage, and Westfield to Onehunga is 1 stage.

Andrew wrote:The new timetables have an odd note on the fare table for all points that intersect Onehunga/Te Papapa and stations south of Penrose (denoted with a "^"), which says:

"'Through' fare. Passengers must ask for a transfer ticket and connect at Penrose onto the next available service, or purchase a ticket for the next stage from the station Ticket Machine.

The old timetable had that too, it's not new. Otahuhu-Onehunga, and Manurewa-Manukau are both 1 stage. I thought it was new as well, until I checked the previous timetable booklets.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewZealandLocomotives/
geoff_184
Uber Transit Geek

Postby Matt L » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Training run or post maintenance shakedown?

Walking the dog tonight I saw an ADL heading eastbound past Paremuka. A few minutes later and SA set went past westbound then only two or three minutes later another ADL (may have been the same one) came past also going westbound and I managed to see the rear pid which said not in service).
Matt L

Postby kaiwhara » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Matt L wrote:Training run or post maintenance shakedown?

Walking the dog tonight I saw an ADL heading eastbound past Paremuka. A few minutes later and SA set went past westbound then only two or three minutes later another ADL (may have been the same one) came past also going westbound and I managed to see the rear pid which said not in service).

Veolia Driver Training. Two of them out tonight.
Beware. I know everything. Mostly. Not quite. Ummmmmm... Can I ask the Audience???
kaiwhara

Postby jefft » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:40 pm

So what's the opinion on Lester Levy? Has he made any improvements to passenger rail services in Auckland yet? Or are we just waiting for the electric trains?
jefft
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Nick R » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Having tagged along to meet him with Matt, my impression was that he certainly talks the talk and probably has gumption to turn that talk into walk.

However you won't see any direct improvements. His role is one of organizational reform, turning AT into a lean mean service delivery machine.
I should still listen to Doloras.
Nick R
Uber Transit Geek

Postby commuter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Nick R wrote:His role is one of organizational reform, turning AT into a lean mean service delivery machine.

How deeply depressing. So, like the totally egregious Mark Ford, just another political apparatchik with no real interest in improving Auckland transit? It would be good to see passion, involvement, knowledge, motivation and interest, not to mention understanding. But, instead, thanks to Brown's obsequious collaboration with the right, it seems we get another National party flack running AT, more interested in 'corporate efficiency' than in actually making public transport an accessible and viable option for Auckland.
commuter
Bus Foamer

Postby Matt L » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:25 pm

commuter wrote:
Nick R wrote:His role is one of organizational reform, turning AT into a lean mean service delivery machine.

How deeply depressing. So, like the totally egregious Mark Ford, just another political apparatchik with no real interest in improving Auckland transit? It would be good to see passion, involvement, knowledge, motivation and interest, not to mention understanding. But, instead, thanks to Brown's obsequious collaboration with the right, it seems we get another National party flack running AT, more interested in 'corporate efficiency' than in actually making public transport an accessible and viable option for Auckland.

He is the same as Mark Ford in the sense that he is the Chairman of the organisation. The chairman doesn't have a role in the day to day operation. I have met him a few times (and am doing so again next week) and think he is does actually care about making things better.
Matt L

Postby locost_bryan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm

The scripted intros from the TM's started under his stewardship, and the on-board announcement's of Friday's bridge strike were much improved over previous incidents. :) The non-arrival of the announced replacement buses let them down :( , but fortunately the line was only closed for around 45 minutes (meaning 15 - 30 minutes delay for most pax).
locost_bryan
Railfan

Postby john-ston » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

locost_bryan wrote:The scripted intros from the TM's started under his stewardship

Although some staff have adapted the scripted intros, so that is good.
The Jeremiah of Public Transport

"You are 99.97% right" - Akarana
john-ston
Uber Transit Geek

Postby confusis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am

I noticed the TM on my 4.45 New Lynn => Mt Albert train yesterday introduce himself and whatnot via the PA, explained that the delays earlier in the day had been resolved, offered to help with any queries, etc. I think it's an excellent idea - helps add a human touch to the PT system
confusis
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby locost_bryan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am

confusis wrote:I noticed the TM on my 4.45 New Lynn => Mt Albert train yesterday introduce himself and whatnot via the PA, explained that the delays earlier in the day had been resolved, offered to help with any queries, etc. I think it's an excellent idea - helps add a human touch to the PT system

Was told the TM on the first "uncancelled" western service last Friday, having been keeping pax up-to-date on the bustitution, announced the resumption of services "Woohoo, we're taking this train to Swanson!". :lol:

And this morning's TM apologised for our late arrival at Britomart due to "lots of people on the train - you might have noticed". :lol:
locost_bryan
Railfan

Postby vworp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 am

locost_bryan wrote:
confusis wrote:I noticed the TM on my 4.45 New Lynn => Mt Albert train yesterday introduce himself and whatnot via the PA, explained that the delays earlier in the day had been resolved, offered to help with any queries, etc. I think it's an excellent idea - helps add a human touch to the PT system

Was told the TM on the first "uncancelled" western service last Friday, having been keeping pax up-to-date on the bustitution, announced the resumption of services "Woohoo, we're taking this train to Swanson!". :lol:

And this morning's TM apologised for our late arrival at Britomart due to "lots of people on the train - you might have noticed". :lol:

You know, that little glimmer of a sense of humour is all that is needed to lighten the mood. I know some passengers won't take it as much of a joke, but to others, they may feel they can relate better to a TM that can put a positive spin on things...
"I have even seriously considered going down the mail-order bride path." -- john-ston
"While we're at it let's say cars emit rainbows and fairy dust..." -- pcuser42 (on idiots calling cycling 'bad' for the environment)

Formerly darkie
vworp
Everything Fanboy

Postby confusis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I wonder if it's the same 1 or two people, or if it's a new policy..
confusis
Trainee Transport Geek

Postby Ratchet » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Wow this thread...

Anyway, does anyone know what type of horn DFB 7348 uses? Is it a Leslie?
Quick! Edit the Wiki!
Ratchet
Railfan

Postby pcuser42 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 pm

Ratchet wrote:Anyway, does anyone know what type of horn DFB 7348 uses? Is it a Leslie?

A loud one :P
"We live in cities, you'll never see on screen, not very pretty but we sure know how to run things"
pcuser42
Certified Trainspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Auckland Transport Discussion