The New Zealand Herald gives a perspective on the final draft of the Auckland Regional Transport Strategy. The strategy proposes spending $46 billion on public transport, roads and walking and cycling between now and 2040. It will be presented at Britomart Transport Centre today for two months of consultations. Key projects outlined:
- Rail electrification: $1.2 billion
- Central Auckland rail tunnel: $1.5 billion
- Airport rail links: $1.1 billion
- Avondale-Onehunga rail link: $1 billion
- Northern busway extension to Orewa: $400 million
- Bus priority links Henderson-Albany and Panmure-Botany-Manukau centre (figures unavailable)
- Completing the western ring route: about $2 billion
- Auckland-Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative: $1.3 billion
- Improved airport links: $400 million
Investigations proposed for
- A third Waitemata Harbour crossing.
- A strategic road link to improve freight movements between East Tamaki and the western ring route.